Carotid Endarterectomy (CEA)
Why is the doctor performing this surgery?
To remove plaque buildup (atherosclerosis) in the carotid arteries, which supply the brain with vital oxygen and nutrients. Removing this plaque can ultimately prevent a Stroke.
What is the surgery?
CEA is neck surgery to strip the inner lining of a carotid artery of obstructive plaque. The surgeon first makes an incision in the neck to access the narrowed carotid artery. Then the artery is opened and the plaque is removed. Finally, the artery is sutured back together. Once the plaque is removed, the artery diameter is wider, and blood can flow to brain tissue freely.
Where is the surgery performed?
In the Operating Room (OR), under general anesthesia.
How long does this surgery take?
Carotid Endarterectomy usually takes 1-2 hours.
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair
- Bypass Surgery
- Carotid Endarterectomy (CEA)
- Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery (CABG)
- Transmyocardial Revascularization (TMR)
- Valve Repair Surgery
- Valve Replacement Surgery
- Angiojet Thrombectomy
- Automatic Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators (AICD or ICD)
- Coil Embolization
- Computed Axial Tomography (CAT or CT)/Ultrafact Computed Tomography (CT) Scan
- Coronary Balloon Angioplasty & Stenting
- Coronary Catheterization
- Dobutamine Stress Echo
- Echocardiography (ECHO)
- Electrocardiogram (EKG/ECG)
- Electrophysiology Study (EPS)
- Event Recorder
- Holter Monitoring
- Inferior Vena Cava (IVC) Umbrella Placement
- Intraaortic Balloon Pump
- Intracardiac Ultrasound (ICE)
- Intravascular Ultrasound (ICE)
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)/ Magnetic Resonance Angiography (MRA)
- Medicated Stents
- Nuclear Stress Tests
- Percutaneous Transluminal Angioplasty (PTA)
- Percutaneous Transluminal Coronary Angioplasty (PTCA)
- Peripheral Stents
- Peripheral Vascular Angiography
- Radiation Brachytherapy
- Septal Closures
- Signal Averaged Electrocardiogram (SAECG)
- Stress Echocardiogram
- Stress Test
- Thrombolytic Treatment
- Tilt Table
- Transesophageal Echocardiogram (TEE)