The PA in Cardiovascular Surgery assists the supervising surgeon in the management of patients and performs diagnostic and therapeutic procedures under the supervision of the surgeon. Will serve as 1st assistant in surgeries, perform endoscopic conduit harvest when applicable, follow up post operatively, and assist in discharge planning. Provide patient care in the office setting. The PA works closely with and assists the surgeon in providing quality, efficient, continuous, and cost-effective care during the patient’s hospitalization.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Performs complete, accurate history and physical (H&P) assessment/examination as appropriate for patient setting/type of visit. Documents H&P, consults and enters progress notes in medical record.
- Determines patient care plans, treatment and interventions through reassessment and modifies as necessary to achieve patient health status goals. Reports significant plan changes to supervising physician.
- Orders, performs and interprets diagnostic tests and accurately, communicates results to patient, completes all documentation, adhering to compliance standards for documentation, coding/billing and collaborative supervision. Reports abnormal findings to collaborative/ supervising physician. Enters orders into electronic medical records (EMR).
- Provides direct patient and family education regarding patient medical condition/disease process, treatment methodologies, outcomes management, wellness and prognosis.
- Participates in medical record, patient care, quality assurance, process improvement and compliance audits, evaluations and follow-up.
- Demonstrates flexibility and responsiveness in handling schedule coverage and service excellence. There will be expectations to participate in a call schedule.
- Performs other duties consistent with purpose of job, effective operation and medical practice and access/ delivery of care to patients as directed.
- Performs postoperative incisional care including dressing changes.
- Performs removal of chest tubes, central lines, temporary pacemaker wires, sutures, staples and surgical drains.
- Handles discharge planning and dictates discharge summaries.
- Demonstrates accuracy, attention to detail and effectiveness in completion of work.
- Exhibits dependability, availability and conscientiousness in performing work and in willingness to accept responsibilities.
- Will work alongside Attending Physicians in caring for patients before, during and after open heart procedure.
- Daily responsibilities include performing history and physicals, rounding and hospital charting to provide excellent patient care in both inpatient and outpatient settings.
- Provide patient education before surgery to the patient and family, answering any and all questions/concerns.
- Willingness to learn central line placement and limited transthoracic echo.
- Intra-operative responsibilities include: first assisting the surgeon throughout the entire procedure along with endoscopic conduit harvest when applicable. Additionally, PAs will perform and/or assist in invasive procedures such as chest tube placement/removal and femoral/venous line insertions.
- Post-operative responsibilities include caring for patients by monitoring their recovery, ordering/reviewing lab tests and discussing any questions/concerns with the surgeon.
- Office duties include: availability to see patients for same day visits, office procedures, returning phone calls from patients. Evaluation and screening, and counseling of patients on health maintenance and promotion of utilization of community resources.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. Graduate of an accredited PA program with master’s degree in Physician Assistant Studies (MPAS), Health Services (MHS), Medical Science (MMS) or Doctor of Science Physician Assistant (DscPA).
- Licensure: Current IN license and certification or registration by Physician Assistant National Certifying Exam (NCCPA), IN CSR and DEA.
- Experience: Minimum 2 years’ experience as a Physician Assistant with cardiothoracic surgery experience
- Other Job Requirements: Well developed and demonstrable communication skills required; strong inter-personal and collaborative skills and physicians, healthcare professionals, hospital and public agency staff; strong decision-making skills that support patient care needs, ethical standards, legal compliance and fiscal integrity.